Act I: Portage
The difficult portage yesterday had us quite prepared for
the two portages we had left today. The river was quiet and calm as we paddled
into the town of Sartell. The damn was not as imposing as Blanchard dam, but
the paper plant next to the plant made up for that. However, it seemed as if a
bomb went off in the plant. The entire center was demolished, jagged heaps of
steel supports, metal pipes and falling walls of brick made it look like war
zone. We paddling to shore and scouted our portage. The official portage was
around 300 yards away, down a steep grassy hill, around 8 feet of jagged
boulders, the water. The water itself was raging and turbulent. “ No way”, both
of us muttered, quite frustrated we would have to travel down the road more to
find a better put in. This mean more distance we would have to carry our
supplies and canoe.
We
strolled leisurely down the road, hearing people talking but not sure where, a
police car was parked on the bridge, but we were not sure why. As we rounded
the corner, we got our answer. There was a Memorial Day ceremony going on at
the war memorial. The sidewalk took us right past them. We awkwardly walked
past a crowd of silent and stoic people, having the same feeling you get when
having to walk out of church during the sermon.
We talked to a police woman who was directing traffic and she informed
us of a better put in, about a half mile more down the road. It was much easier
so we decided to bite the bullet and haul our canoe and stuff a mile down the
road. We hoped by the time we would pass the ceremony, it would be over. What
better way to distract a sentimental moment than dragging a canoe on wheels
through it. We loaded our backs and arms with whatever we could, put the canoe
on its portage wheels and down the street we walked. People stared at us like
they’ve never seen a canoe pushed down the road before. I guess they were
justified.
The
ceremony thankfully ended before we walked by, although the crowds lingering all
turned their heads. We arrived at the
put in sweating profusely, intensely thirsty and read to go down the river. We
got a great deal on hot dogs at the gas station and sat around joking that rest
of river can’t get any harder than yesterday ( Add foreboding music hear).
Act II: Rapids
We set
off, the river had great currant, and the sun was sweltering. Hot enough that I
slipped off my boots and socks and enjoyed the weather. We knew about the
possible rapids, but everything we have read and been told had been that they
were negligible. Class 1 at the most, and unless you actually tried, you
couldn’t even tip a canoe on it. Even the Minnesota department of resources
claims that this section of river has known rapids. We also assumed that since
the river was quite high from recent rain, even the minor rapids would be
somewhat inundated enough to be rendered passive. We rounded a bend and heard
constant and loud drone. Ahead about 1000 feet were the rapids, the looked much
more aggressive then we assumed, but not so aggressive that would make us think
they would be impassable.
We
aimed our canoe for what appeared to be the easiet section to pass, and
prepared to paddle hard. Entering them
we soon realized this was far more complicated than any waves we encountered. It very techiniqal, requiring us to
coordinate eachothers movements switching paddle strokes, left to right, right
to left, quickly and perfectly. We were actually having a lot of fun, waves
breaking against the bow, water splashing in the boat, but we were near the
end, and still glad. Then it happened. We both saw it at the same time, a wall
of water shooting almost straight up, about 4 times the height are canoe is actually
out of the water. We couldn’t paddle out
of its way, and knew we had to go through, straight through. We shouted before
we hit, “Go straight! Go Straight!, I tried to steer in the rear, but our luck
ran out, the currant pushed our canoe parallel to the wave 3 second before we
reached it. Toby and I instinctively through our weight into the side of the
wave as we hit it, hoping we could get lucky once more and not tip.
As the
wall of water pushed the side of our canoe up, and my body far beyond any point
of recovery, I could only think “ Oh wow, we are actually tipping…”. I was
still in my seat as we plunged into the turbulent water, my adrenaline pumping
so much I don’t even remember the temperature. All I remember is having the
same feeling as being in a blender. I immediately
thought what important things I need to grab, an instant split second
checklist. My phone was in a water proof bag tied around my neck tucked in my
vest, a bag I just bought yesterday luckily.
I came up from a wave and glimpsed everything we had violently floating
all around me. I finally spotted toby clinging to the boat, and then my blue
plastic dry bag. I grabbed the canoe, the bag and held on, I saw the paddle float by and grabbed that
too. I spotted Toby’s paddle but only had two arms, so I let it all go. I was absolutely
sure all was lost, our trip over, and that this was the beginning of a sad journey
home. We asked each other if we had our
phones and wallets. I didn’t know where my wallet was, so I assumed swimming downstream.
Toby unfortunately lost his new phone.
Since
my provider is awful outside urban centers, we relied on Toby’s phone for
navigation and internet access to post on this blog. He had it in a water proof, shock proof and
dust proof case. Unfortunately, it was not sink proof. I was
lucky I had taken off my shoes just moments earlier. I could swim much better
as we moved further down river. The current slowed and we kicked hard to get to
shore, me holding the last of our possessions: The canoe, my paddle, my lap top
bag. Trying to stop a sinking canoe, I put
my bare feet on the river bottom, something cut my foot, but we managed to
stop. We flipped the canoe as fast as we could, bailed out the water, and got
back in. I paddled hard to get to our stuff.
The river
looked like debris filled, floating bags, a cooler, a couple portage wheels and
much more of our precious equipment. We spent
the better part of a half hour paddling up and down the river retrieving what
we can. It’s actually quite funny seeing your floating soaks, a bunch of
bananas and a bag of oatmeal going for a swim. You find out what you value the
most when you have to go fishing for it, for me, I saw my captains hat,
grabbing that before even my sleeping bag.
As we zigzagged around the river, in the city of St Cloud, I saw that
the hospital on the bank, whose windows faced the river, had crowds of people
looking out at us. I waved to them and got many waves back, from almost every
floor. I hope we provided some comic relief to some sick people.
We managed to salvage 90% of our gear, losing most of our
food various equipment. The canoe was very low, the water logged men and equipment
weighing it down. We pulled into a park nearby to dry out and process what happened.
We managed to capture the aftermath on
video.
Act III: Licking our wounds: Coming Tomorrow
I'm greatly enjoying following your adventure on here! Real bummer about tipping, but why is the second video faulty, or as it says, simply "private"?
ReplyDeleteFixed! I think
ReplyDelete