The Men
In one way, our names, Bito and Toby, have the same ring as Milo and Otis. Sure their journey was adventurous but I'd much rather compare ourselves to Lewis and Clark than to a bumbling pug and feline. Whichever one of us exemplifies Milo or Otis or even Lewis or Clark, has yet to be decided. As the main characters in this adventure, a little background is needed.
Both Toby and I grew up in the mountains of Western Maryland and Pennsylvania and currently make our home in Columbus, Ohio. We are not strangers to woods and streams, both coming from families who have strong affinities to the outdoors. Toby is newly certified life coach and spent significant time surviving in the heart of Africa. Since quitting my job to pursue this journey I've become a newly minted house husband with aspirations of graduate school in the fall.
Undertaking long journeys seems to be a common theme in the American story. After all, most Americans are descendants of people who journeyed across vast oceans and lands to see what was on the other side. While common within the american story, the pursuit of such endeavors are wholely a trait found in the human story.
The Monster
I have to admit that I hate snakes. Many people do. Their slithering movements, unpredictability, and sinister reputation don't capture the same affection as say a dog. From scripture to folklore, the deceiving snake and looming dragon have been common antagonists in many narratives.
Much like a snake, the Mississippi slithers its way through the heart of America. Its head beginning in the lake spotted land of northern Minnesota and its tail ending in the swampy delta near New Orleans, Louisiana. The two thousand three hundred mile journey from source to sea is not only long in distance but also has a profoundly fascinating history.
Mississippi is a funny name. In fact, I can't help but recite the children's jingle learned in school each time I wish to spell it. Like many place names in the U.S., Mississippi is and anglicized approximation of the native Ojibwe name for the river ,"Misi-ziibi" meaning Great River. Great it is. The river drains parts or all of thirty one states and two Canadian provinces. It ranks as the fourth longest and the tenth largest in then world. As native culture waned and a euro american culture took its place many began to refer to the Mississippi colloquially as Old Man River.
If Old Man River were a book it would have chapters filled with epic stories. Stories which include: river pirates, great battles, fortunes made and fortunes lost, and the rise and fall of ancient civilizations. I look forward to looking across the muddy waters to those old river banks, imagining the depths of the history slowly slipping past. My hope for this blog is to take you along this journey with us, to share our experiences as we slowly conquer this monster called old man river.
No comments:
Post a Comment