When I was reading up on previous
canoeing adventures, I came across a story about Lewis and Clark. On their
exploration of the American west which up to that point was largely unknown to
the young and growing America, they came across a stretch of river so hazardous
that the Natives gathered along the banks to watch them die. Now I don’t consider
myself a daredevil, I rather quiet like living too much, but as we battled the
wind driven waves in the middle of Lake Bemidji I couldn’t help contemplate the
finite nature of life. With the temperature
of air just above freezing and the water not much higher, tipping the canoe
much more than a 5 minutes swim from shore would have spelled disaster.
Fighting waves in a canoe is a lot like
a sultry dance, the salsa for example. There is lots of hip movements, gyrations
and keen sense of how dumb you would look if you fail. This is how we made our way across the Lake
Bemidji, fighting wind, waves and water
as best we could, one hip bump and paddle stroke at a time. Our goal for the
day was Lake Winnabagoshosh ( Lake Winnie for short as we thankfully found
out..). What lay between us and Lake
Winnie was, you guessed it, more lakes, each larger than the last, each
requiring it’s on special combination of paddling and dancing to get across.
We meandered through a lovely stretch
of river, passing numerous fishermen along the way, I wondered what behooved
them to stand out in the middle of a river, in the cold, alone, and waiting to
catch an animal they probably wouldn’t eat. Then I thought they must think the
same about us, paddling for no apparent important reason, I guess I’ll rest my
case. The scenic river turned into a
lake, whose existence was owed by our first dam. Having to portage, we scouted
our inlet. We found out that as soon as we stopped padding, we would begin to
shiver violently from the cold. We warmed up quickly by heave-hoeing the canoe
up a steep bank and down the other side. It started snowing and I looked up to
the heavens quite bitterly, zipped my coat as tight as I could, put on the undersized beanie I got
at Wal-Mart, and then pushed off on our merry way.
It only got colder as we pushed
toward Lake Cass, the last lake before Lake Winnie, we paddled harder to stay
warm, but soon our arms were giving out because the wind was forcing us to only
paddle on the right in order to stay true to course. We knew that to cross Lake Cass would mean
paddling dangerously close to dark. Our fatigue and hunger overrode our desire
to press on. We have made camp here on an Island and have eaten a hearty me
stir fry rice and hot dogs, quite filling if you’ve never tried it. We have been lucky to have cell phone
service, which means I can get this blog updated to you. Tomorrow we hope to cross both Lake Cass and
Lake Winnie. We just hope it keeps getting
warmer. We hope to have enough places to
charge our devices, so if we disappear for a while, that is why.
No comments:
Post a Comment