After a whole night spent driving
north, we arrived at Lake Itasca exactly at noon. Itasca getting its name from
a combination of the Latin words for “truth” and “head”. The sun was high and its rays were making the
lake shimmer like thousands of diamonds floating on the surface. Without knowing the significance, the source
and beginning of the Mississippi looks like nothing more than a spill away
creek. It’s fascinating to think that
water flowing over the little rock bridge marking the source will meander its
way all the way to New Orleans.
We got a few funny looks as we rolled
our canoe from the parking lot, some people jokingly asking if we are going to
New Orleans, only to give perplexed and serious looks when we reply with a yes!. After saying goodbye to Bennett, we pushed
off and were finally floating down the Mississippi. The start was a bet awkward at best. Toby and I have not canoed together fully
loaded before so before we could even start paddling the current had turned us
around until we were facing up river, not down.
Much to our relief, the only audience to this was Bennett. When we finally were righted, we began our
slow paddle down river. We passed a few
people fishing, glided under a bridge or two and soon found ourselves in wilderness.
The river flowed shallow and clear.
Schools of fish darted around the boat and flocks of little brown birds raced
through brush beside the banks. Since we have been living in the city, Toby and
I found it remarkable just how quiet and serene the wilderness is. At times we
stopped paddling just so we could experience this. It was not before too long that we encounter
some interesting wildlife. A little down river I noticed something in a tree. I
grabbed my binoculars and saw my first wild bald eagle; within 5 minutes we saw
two more. We spent a while trying to imitate
the birds we were hearing behind us, our song sounded more like a elementary band
recital than that of a song bird. We were abruptly distracted when we saw a
lone porcupine about 30 feet up in a tree. I personally never knew they liked
heights. The first 3 hours of the
adventure were a cake walk, the river was calm and the weather was perfect. We predicted
that we would miss these smaller channels getting down river to where the banks
were farther apart rather than a stone’s throw. However, the Mississippi does
not lend itself to predictability…
Soon, the river began to flow quite
rapidly. What were previously calm, almost transparent waters turned choppy. We
found ourselves using our paddles more as shields from branches and as rudders
to keep our canoe from crashing into protruding rocks. Within a short time, our hands and arms were
bloody and bruised, not much unlike if we were wrestling with a bobcat. As we rounded a corner we saw a thick tree that
had fell completely across the river, its sharp branches creating bars blocking
passage even below it. However, there was one small hole in this blockade, and we had a choice to either go
through or risk smashing against the tree.
The clearance was close to two feet
from the top of the canoe. I intuitively knew I sat at three feet. Obviously, the
math hints there will be a possibly painful problem. I saw that toby had cleared the tree, but as
he did so his hat flew off and began its own trip down river. As I collapsed in
the hull of the canoe to avoid a collision between the tree and my skull, I
looked down and realized my paddle was stuck in brush about 50 feet behind
us. I immediately reached up and grabbed
a sap covered branch. Lying on my back I pushed our canoe back with
my legs so Toby could anchor it while as I exited and waded up the creek
without my paddle. With lost paddle
found, we headed down river hoping that the worst was behind us. But apparently
optimism is for the naïve.
As soon as we caught our breath we
heard what sounded like a waterfall. The
maps showed no water falls; in fact all the water falls had all been removed
with the construction of locks and dams.
“Surely we have the right river?” we joked. Toby identified the source of the noise.
Beaver dams are quite amazing structure, beavers even more amazing engineers.
With only mud, sticks and a pair a teeth they managed to tame the very river
that was causing us much grief. We only contemplated
making the 5 foot drop for a second and finally admitted we were going to need
to portage. With nothing but sheer muscle
power, we lugged our loaded canoe over the side and into the river below. This
was the first of three beaver damns encountered that hour.
Exhausted from the miles we had
done, we slipped into a sprawling marsh. The river was calm and dark, tall dead
grasses grew over our line of sight, essentially becoming our horizon. What was
once sunny day turned cloudy. We knew
rain was coming and were planning to make camp at a site we saw on our map, “any
minute now” became our mantra as we searched.
Switch back after switch back, we slithered along the marsh hoping for
dry place to camp. The river was not getting any shorter as the hour hand on my
watch made its slow march from 5 to 6, then from 6 to 7. We arrived at a fork in the river, Left or
right? The tall grass made any direction
a guess, we chose left. The river turned
into a creek and soon disappeared. Looking through a hole in the brush, we saw that
the true flow of the river lay 100 yards ahead of us through swamp grass and
mud. It was a mutual decision to portage the boat instead of trying to paddle
back. With every count of 3, we muscled
the boat foot by hard fought foot; at times falling waist deep in black coal
swamp mud and saying more words grandma wouldn’t approve of. We got back in the boat somewhat anxious about
the growing dark clouds above, this provided motivation to paddle hard.
We were quite relieved when we saw
the campsite, a small log cabin, cut in half with decaying shingled roof. Regardless, it looked like the Ritz Carleton to
us. We unloaded our canoe and quickly
began to make camp, trying to race against the rain. Toby put his hatchet to good use and built
quite an impressive fire. We filled ourselves with baked beans and peanuts; odd
combination yes, but it was enjoyable. We barely got into our tents before the rain
began to fall. I laid in my tent hoping
that the night wouldn’t be too cold. This tent had carried me across the
country on my bicycle, so I had trust in it would keep me dry. However, this trust ended as I felt water spritzing against
my face… “Uh Toby?, I yelled… “ yea?”, “ I think I’m leaking”, “Uhh what …kind
of leaking..?”, toby said with hesitation. “My tent, you idiot! I’m coming in!, I yelled,
as I darted through the wet grass trying to protect my sleeping bag.
It was still raining when we filled
ourselves with bacon and eggs this morning, the persisting down pour dampening
the joy of such a great meal. We were shivering as we pushed on down river, knowing
what a miserable day it will be. We were again in marshes, the river deciding
to take the most complicated route through this valley. At times the only indication
that we were not going the wrong way was the fact that river was flowing
forward. Bend after frustrating bend; we
paddled until we came to another camp.
The town of Bemidji was still within paddling distance, but it would be
a few hours, rain was still in the forecast so we decided it would be best to
make camp now. Toby is now our official
fire maker, having amazingly started fire in the rain. As I was typing this,
toby yelled something and I saw him throwing burning object into the woods with
his hatchet. I guess I let my shoes dry a little too long. Socks and saddles it is! Tomorrow is calling for a low of 32, so we
are contemplating splurging on a hotel. The Mississippi has not broken us yet, only
gave us more adventure than we wanted for the first two days. Time for supper. Stay tuned.
Too much adventure for me!
ReplyDeleteWhere's the Holiday Inn. Lol!
ReplyDelete