Waking up with your head buried
into soft pillow for more than one day in row is a luxury many people tend to
overlook. We have been not only enjoying
pillows and beds, but meals consisting of more than hot dogs and noodles for
the past 5 days. The last day of our month long paddle down the Mississippi
could not have been any better. My brother in law Jeff and his friend joined us
for the last thirty miles. The weather could not have been more perfect. The
sun was out, the wind at our backs and river flowing quite nicely. It was great
having new company and conversation, and knowing that an extended period of
recovery was ahead. Pulling into the
little dock in Muscatine, IA was bitter-sweet. Our tired and adventure weary
selves were glad, but a part of myself which compels me to explore was somewhat
yearning for more.
Toby will be resting and preparing
to finish the trip on his bicycle, I will be going home to prepare for our
upcoming move to Scotland. This trip, with all its moments of adventure and
hardship, perseverance and ease, will provide me with a lifetime of good
memories. I can’t thank those enough for have supported us and encouraged us in
this adventure, our friends and family back home and the strangers along the
way who helped us immensely. I hope you readers have enjoyed coming along this
adventure with us, it was great motivation knowing that more than just Toby and
I were along for the ride. I will leave you all with this quote from Mark
Twain, another person who explored the Mississippi,
“Twenty years from now you will
be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did
do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade
winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.”
No comments:
Post a Comment