We made the early morning crossing
from one side of the river to the campground on the other side where we could
utilize their tables and power plugs. I was crossing my fingers that the bacon
we had bought a week earlier was still edible, although it was still packaged,
it had not known refrigeration since it had left the checkout many miles
upriver. There was cyclist there, I
noticed his panniers and gear setting out on the gazebo tables. It instantly
reminded me of last year’s ride, and for a moment, I was slightly envious that
he was on a bicycle. His name was Gregg,
recently retired and on the second half of a two year tour across the states.
Last year he cycled from Seattle to Hastings, MN, this year, he is going from
Hastings to Boston. We chatted for bit, and exchanged info, and then I cautiously
opened the package of bacon.
I can’t
say that it was entirely fresh, but it didn’t smell like death incarnate. I put
the warm fatty strips on the hot pan. They cooked normal and looked just as
good as any bacon bought fresh. I cooked
mine as crispy as toby’s and took a bite. In my opinion, it tasted a little
more cured than normal, but still good.
Hours later though… We felt fine. No severe abdominal cramps, no
blowouts on either end, no turning the canoe to shore. Most of the day was
spent fighting headwinds and dodging barges, so basically, a normal day on the
Mississippi. We arrived at a lock where
a barge was waiting and went to shore to gather some snacks form the only gas
station we have seen in days. Walking over I noticed a familiar van. “Bicycle
America”, was stenciled on the windows, the last time I saw this company I was
cycling through the fridge cascades. This company offers staffed and supported
cross country ride across America, this time they were head from New Orleans to
St. Paul. Once again, I couldn’t help
but be envious of the string of bikers speeding by me. Leaving the gas station, two more cyclists
sped south. I yelled, “New Orleans?”, “Yea man!, you?”, “Yea!, but on a
canoe!”, they yelled back, “Right on man, and gave me fist pump as they sped
away.”
The
highlight of the day was finally leaving Minnesota. For 23 or so days, they all
blend together; we have been in this massive state. We stopped paddling and let the current take
us across the state line, a simple brown sign indicating one side as Iowa, the
other Minnesota. I secretly wished someone had put balloons and streamers celebrating
our simple accomplishment, but no, only a headwind cheered for us. However, it was refressing to say goodbye to the cold, to the wretched lakes, the long stretches of wilderness, and the marshes, oh joy, good bye marshes.
We
entered a part of the river where the banks were steep on every bank, only a
train track wound its way around the edges. We looked at our phones and service
dwindled from 3 bars, to 2, then to no service at all. It was getting late and
we had already paddled 2 hours without seeing a good place to camp, the Islands
being flooded by high water and the banks being too steep for a tent and in
path of blazing freight trains. As the
sun went down, we found a muddy bank in a patch of woods to finally pitch our
tents. I looked at my phone, no service, and knew it would be night of worry
for my wife and our mothers. We ate our
ramen noodles, swatted our mosquito quota, and crawled in our tent to wait for night by
reading.
We were
awoken in the middle of the night by a combination of deer snorting around us, and
freight trains seemingly bulldozing their way through the tracks in the forest
nearby. The latter which startled Toby awake, and according to him, a cacophony
I just snored through. We woke up to a
calm river laden with a thick fog, the next lock and dam was nearby and we cut
a path through water straight too it. Again, today, we encountered a steady
headwind, which pushed our speed far below what we desired. We paddled for 11
hours, and only managed to travel 36 or so miles. We broke up the time by
paddling in various poses, on our butts, on our knees, cross legged, and so on.
I made the suggestion that we do some yoga poses, but that idea was prudently
shut down. Tonight we are staying in
Guttenburg, IA. Again, we hope the police allow us to camp in the small park by
the river. Once again, stay tuned.
Edit: As I was typing this blog inside this subway, a cop car pulled up to the front door. Out hops toby from the passnger side and he comes inside, I give a perplexed look. Toby looked more than excited to have gotten a ride from the park, but then he said "Hey man we got a free hotel!" "Wait, what? Hotel? FREE?" How?, apparently, instead of letting us sleep in the park, the police are using their "relief fund" to put us up for the night in a hotel. This trip never fails to surprise me.
Edit: As I was typing this blog inside this subway, a cop car pulled up to the front door. Out hops toby from the passnger side and he comes inside, I give a perplexed look. Toby looked more than excited to have gotten a ride from the park, but then he said "Hey man we got a free hotel!" "Wait, what? Hotel? FREE?" How?, apparently, instead of letting us sleep in the park, the police are using their "relief fund" to put us up for the night in a hotel. This trip never fails to surprise me.
No comments:
Post a Comment